I need to reinstall the OS on my Kaseya server.
How do I do this and keep our current data from the Kaseya install?
You can back up the database using the System tab > Configure function - this will back up to a time/date stamped .bak file in the folder path specified in the "Backup folder on KServer" field.
So if you need to reinstall the OS, the steps you should take are: -
1) apply the latest hotfixes to your Kaseya system
2) stop the Kaseya service using the Stop Service button in the System tab > Configure function
3) take a database backup using the Backup Now button - when the backup completes you will have a file in the Backup Folder path on your server called ksubscribers_db_yyyymmddhhmm.BAK (we would recommend ensuring you have at least 2 good backups before reinstalling the OS)
4) Once the backup completes, copy the following information to another computer or a removable drive: -
- The database backup files (Named ksubscribers_db_yyyymmddhhmm.BAK)
- The entire directory \WebPages\themes\banner\images\new. This directory contains the customized icons, if any, for reports and the Agent when using the banner theme.
- The entire directory \WebPages\themes\compact\images\new. This directory contains the customized icons, if any, for reports and the Agent when using the compact theme.
- The entire directory \WebPages\themes\default\images\new. This directory contains the customized icons, if any, for reports and the Agent when using the default theme.
- The entire directory <Kaseya_Installation_Directory>\UserProfiles. This directory contains the files associated with your managed machines.
- With the exception of the subdirectory VSAHiddenFiles, the entire directory \WebPages\ManagedFiles. This directory contains the scripts and managed files belonging to each administrator.
- You may want to backup your customized header from \WebPages\Access if you have customized this.
WARNING: Do not copy VSAHiddenFiles (found inside the WebPages\Managed files directory) from an old system to a new system. This directory contains many system helper files. Your new system installation contains the latest versions of these files.
5) reinstall the OS and SQL Server, and ensure both are on the latest version and fully patched - ensure the IP address is set the same as before so that agents can check in
6) reinstall the Kaseya VSA using the latest installation - see http://portal.knowledgebase.net/article.aspx?article=274641&p=11855
7) log on to the new VSA using the master admin password specified in the installation
8) restore the DB using the System tab > Configure function, Restore button
9) copy the folders backed up in step 4 to the new Kaseya installation directory
10) log in to the VSA using a Master admin login from your original system and check all the data is there
11) reload hotfixes using System tab > Configure, relaod button
Kaseya Server (all versions)