Live Connect can be launched via a custom URL scheme. The URL format is: kaseyaliveconnect://. Along with this URL protocol identifier, you will append a payload, which provides all of the information needed to authenticate and begin a Live Connect session to an endpoint. With Live Connect installed on the client computer, the operating system will know how to interpret this URL and associate it with the the Live Connect application.
Install Live Connect from a licensed VSA. Once installed, Live Connect registers itself with the operating system, allowing it to be launched using the custom URL scheme.
The payload is a Base64 encoded JSON object that is appended to the custom URL protocol mentioned above. The JSON object has the following structure:
- homePageUrl - this points to the root location on your VSA that Live Connect will connect to, once launched. Should match your VSA hostname, along with /liveconnect/
- payload - the main payload
- auth - An object containing authentication details. Currently this is just the VSA Bearer Token, which can be acquired using the /auth REST API. Take note that the inner Token ﬁeld is capitalized. If this is omitted, Live Connect wlll navigate to the login view.
- agentId - This is the GUID for the agent that you are planning to connect to. If this is omitted, Live Connect will display the Asset Browser view on launch.
- navId - A key that indicates which module within Live Connect you want to immediately navigate to, on successful launch. If this is omitted, the initial view will be dashboard (Asset Summary). The current available module keys are:
Encoding The URL
After constructing the JSON payload above, you will Base64 Encode the JSON string. See Base64 for more information. Ultimately, you will end up with a URL string like the following:
Making Use Of The URL
Armed with a valid Live Connect URL, a third-party application can launch Live Connect. For desktop applications, this can be as simple as shelling out to:
- Windows - start kaseyaliveconnect:///...
VSA R9.4 and above