After installing and authorizing the Spanning Backup for Google Workspace app, you will need to assign licenses to users in your tenant to begin protecting them. There are three methods for assigning licenses:
- Manually in the product UI for all, filtered or specific users
- Automatically to all new users in your tenant
- Dynamically using the Spanning Backup for Google Workspace API to assign and remove licenses from users. More details on this method can be found here.
In this article we will focus on the first two basic methods.
Manually Assigning Spanning Backup Licenses for Google Workspace
- Log into Spanning Backup for Google Workspace as an admin user.
- Click the 'Manage Licenses' button in the left-side menu.
- (Optional) Search for users by name or e-mail address
- (Optional) Search for users by using the advanced filters. This will allow you to search across all columns and values on the page.
- To enable/disable a backup license for a user, use the icon next to their name.
- To enable/disable a backup licenses for multiple users in one action, select users from the list and use the desired action.
Note: The bulk select checkbox is applied to results currently displayed in the list. If more results fall under the current search criteria, please scroll the list to load further results and use the checkbox then.
- When using the 'Activate Licenses' button, it is possible to enable backup for all users in your tenant in one action (when no filters are currently applied). If filter criteria are applied (i.e., desired Organizational Unit), this action takes into consideration all filtered results (not only the users loaded in the list below if the list contains more).
Automatically Assigning Spanning Backup Licenses for Google Workspace
You can choose to assign a license to every new user in the domain. To set this up, navigate to License Settings (8), choose the desired option (9) and Save. From now on, whenever a new user is included in the daily domain sync, Spanning automatically protects this account.
- Spanning synchronizes with your tenant's Google Workspace organization to populate the Spanning Backup user list on a daily basis.
- It can take up to 24 hours for changes to display, but you can perform this sync manually by using the refresh button.
- During a trial, organizations are limited to assigning 100 backup licenses.
Please contact support if you have any questions.