Microsoft have acknowledged issues with the January 2022 Cumulative Update.
These issues affect
L2TP over IPSec VPN connections,
Hyper-V Machine reboot loops, and
ReFS drives not being recognised.
The VSA can be used to deny this patch and avoid these issues.
Please see this KB article which explains how to deny this update.
Microsoft has released OOB patches for these issues (from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-releases-emergency-fixes-for-windows-server-vpn-bugs/)
Microsoft has released emergency out-of-band (OOB) updates to address multiple issues caused by Windows Updates issued during the January 2021 Patch Tuesday.
"Microsoft is releasing Out-of-band (OOB) updates today, January 18, 2022, for some versions of Windows," the company said.
"This update addresses issues related to VPN connectivity, Windows Server Domain Controllers restarting, Virtual Machines start failures, and ReFS-formatted removable media failing to mount."
All OOB updates released today are available for download on the Microsoft Update Catalog, and some of them can also be installed directly through Windows Update as optional updates.
You will have to manually check for updates if you want to install the emergency fixes through Windows Update because they are optional updates and will not install automatically.
The following updates can only be downloaded and installed via the Microsoft Update Catalog:
Updates for these Windows versions are also available through Windows Update as an optional update:
- Windows 11, version 21H1 (original release): KB5010795
- Windows Server 2022: KB5010796
- Windows 10, version 21H2: KB5010793
- Windows 10, version 21H1: KB5010793
- Windows 10, version 20H2, Windows Server, version 20H2: KB5010793
- Windows 10, version 20H1, Windows Server, version 20H1: KB5010793
- Windows 10, version 1909, Windows Server, version 1909: KB5010792
- Windows 10, version 1607, Windows Server 2016: KB5010790
- Windows 10, version 1507: KB5010789
- Windows 7 SP1: KB5010798
- Windows Server 2008 SP2: KB5010799