When performing a VMware restore or instant recovery of a Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 7 VM configured with the VMXNET3 virtual network device:
- The resulting virtual machine's guest operating system shows the Ethernet network interface as:
- VMXNET Device #2 in Device Manager
- Local Area connection #2 in Network Properties
- The old Ethernet network interface remains present in Device Manager when Show Hidden Devices is enabled.
- The old Ethernet network interface retains its network configuration, preventing the new interfaces from reusing the previous static IP addresses.
Install the hotfix described in one of the follow Microsoft Knowledge Base articles.
- Prior to Service Pack 1 for Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 7 versions - 2344941
- Post Service Pack 1 for Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 7 versions - 2550978