This document describes new features and fixes introduced in the 10.6.4 release. For upgrade instructions and considerations, reference the Upgrade Guide for Recovery Series, Recovery MAX, ION/ION+, and Unitrends Backup.
This release includes updated Windows core and bare metal agents. The 10.6.4 core agent is recommended for all Windows assets and is required for the Windows fixes in this release.
- Image-level backups – To address fixes in this release, the 10.6.3 agent promotes the asset's next Windows image-level backup to a full.
- The 10.6.1 Windows agent included an updated Windows Volume changed block tracking (CBT) driver (used for incremental image-level backups). Note the following:
- Upon installing the 10.6.4 agent on a Windows asset for the first time, a reboot of the Windows
machine is required.
- If upgrading from a pre-10.6.1 agent release, a reboot is required to update the CBT driver, but incrementals continue to run as scheduled until you can reboot the Windows machine.
- Unitrends has implemented a new agent CBT driver process. With this new process, a reboot of the Windows machine will only be required for major CBT version changes. Major driver changes are very infrequent, incremental backups will not be impacted.
To provide more resilient backups, backup jobs will now attempt to create a Volume Shadow Copy in cases where the VSS writer is in a retryable state. This requires the 10.6.4 agent.
APC UPS support for Recovery Series appliances
During a power outage, the Unitrends Recovery Series appliance needs to be shutdown cleanly. You can now use your APC UPS to issue a clean shutdown for Recovery Series appliances running on CentOS 7 or CentOS 6 Linux. See this article for details: Issue a clean shutdown from an APC UPS.
The table below lists fixes included in this release. Unless stated otherwise, you can apply each fix by simply upgrading your appliance.
- Automated appliance updates – Resolved an issue that could prevent updates from being installed on Unitrends Backup appliances.
- Purging older backups to reclaim space on the appliance – Resolved an issue that could cause out of memory errors on the appliance while backups were being purged.
- Resolved an issue where the Configure > Appliances page loaded very slowly if many managed appliances had been added.
- While creating an image-level replica, you need to assign an unused IP address (one that is not used by another machine in your subnet). Restores now time out if the replica is configured with the IP address of the original Windows asset. This fix requires the 10.6.4 agent.