Self-service data masking and deletion is designed to aid customers that need to perform data masking (or deletion) for compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Previously, this capability was only available by filing a DSR with Spanning. Now, you can perform this function yourself.
Begin by creating a CSV file with one column with the heading "id". Add the 18 digit Object IDs of any object type that you want to data mask (or delete), one per line.
Once you have the file prepared, here are the steps:
- From the Settings page.
- Scroll to the bottom and choose "Perform GDPR Request".
- Choose upload CSV and upload the file you previously prepared.
- Choose Next.
- On the Select Operation page, choose Overwrite or Delete depending on your situation. In most cases Overwrite is the preferred approach. This process will mask the data without changing the data structure of the objects. Restore process will proceed correctly, but the data fields will be overwritten.
- Strings will be overwritten with "XXXXXXX"
- Numbers will be 0
- Boolean will be false
- Dates will be 1/1/1970
- Blobs will be overwritten with a file that contains a string reading "This file has been overwritten as part of a GDRP request."
- Choose Verify to complete your request. The status of the request will be visible on the dashboard.
- The process steps will be visible in the Activity History. Choose the successful GDPR Verification step.
- Choose "Perform Deletion" to complete the process.