How to setup VMware UEB for USB archiving
Set up VMware UEB for USB archiving based on error: Failed to get internal disk identifier when connecting USB to UB appliances running under VMWare.
- Bring down the unit gracefully.
- Follow the VMware KB to setup a USB Passthrough.
- Once set up, power on the UEB
- SSH into the unit
- If your system does not already have 'lsusb' installed, install it by running:
yum install usbutils
- Confirm the unit can see the USB device:
lsusb /usr/bp/bin/hotplug scan
- Once confirmed, check the platform_capabilities file for a line containing "archive_only_usb"
grep archive_only_usb /var/opt/unitrends/platform_capabilities
- If no output is returned, "archive_only_usb" is not present in the platform_capabilities file. Edit the platform_capabilities file:
vi /var/opt/unitrends/platform_capabilitiesand add 'archive_only_usb' to a new line in the file. In vi, press 'i' to insert text and add the following on its own line:
- Save the file and exit vi by typing ":wq" and pressing enter.
- Log into the UI and scan for Media. Media should now be present.