If you’re an existing individual customer of Spanning Backup - either a non-domain user with a gmail.com email address or domain user who installed Spanning Backup as an individual user - this article is for you.
Over the past few years, Spanning Backup has focused on developing and delivering backup and recovery services for G Suite business customers, while continuing to offer services to individual users. Recently, the way we integrate with G Suite to protect business data and individual users’ data has changed, requiring us to build and maintain separate services.
As part of this evolution, we have had to make a difficult decision. To keep our product development and support efforts focused on the evolving needs of G Suite business customers, we are retiring Spanning Backup for individual customers.
We are very thankful for all the support and loyalty you have shown us over the past few years - this was not an easy decision for us to make.
If you’re an individual customer of Spanning Backup, what should you do to prepare?
- Confirm whether this retirement announcement applies to you. If you’re a non-domain user with a gmail.com email address or a domain user who installed Spanning Backup as an individual user, you will be affected. If you’re not certain, please contact our Support Team.
- If you are a domain user who installed Spanning Backup as an individual user, you do have an option to continue being backed up while retaining your historical backup data. You can reinstall Spanning Backup into your domain by going here. Once you’ve installed Spanning Backup into your domain, please contact our Support Team so we can transfer your individual license to the domain account. After the transition is completed by Support, Spanning will back up the user through the domain account, while also retaining the historical backup data.
- Note the retirement date. Starting on July 1, 2017, Spanning will discontinue renewals for existing individual users. After this date, when your subscription would normally be up for renewal, you will no longer be able to renew as an individual customer.
- Perform a data export before your subscription expires. Spanning offers an account level export for you to download your backed up data. You can view how to perform an account level export here. Once the export is ready, you can download your data from Spanning. You can also export backed up data for a specific Google app by navigating to the Restore tab, then choosing the Google app and the data you would like to export.
- Make sure you have the storage you need before you download your export. Once the data is downloaded on your local hard drive, you can move it to local storage, cloud storage or to Google Drive.
If you have any questions or need help exporting the backed up data from your Spanning account, send an email to our Support Team. We’re happy to help.