When installing an AuthAnvil server product and selecting "Install a new SQL Server Express instance" the new instance fails and the installation setup log (found in the respective setup folder inside C:\Program Files\Scorpion Software) throws the following error:
Failed to set SQL Express authentication mode to Mixed mode. Error: SetSQLSecurityToMixedMode() failed. Exception: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
If the SQL instance successfully installed, SQL is failing to be enabled for Mixed Mode authentication (enabling both Windows and SQL authentication). This is required for AuthAnvil software to connect into a SQL instance.
The AuthAnvil SQL instance is being installed on a Domain Controller.
Manually set the SQL Mixed Mode through SQL Management Studio. Follow these steps:
- Open SQL Management Studio and connect into the created SQL instance (<ServerName>\AuthAnvil) with Windows authentication.
- In SQL Server Management Studio Object Explorer, right-click the server, and then click Properties.
- On the Security page, under Server authentication, select the new server authentication mode, and then click OK.
- In the SQL Server Management Studio dialog box, click OK to acknowledge the requirement to restart SQL Server.
- In Object Explorer, right-click your server, and then click Restart. If SQL Server Agent is running, it must also be restarted.
AuthAnvil products use local service accounts when installing Microsoft SQL Server. Domain Controllers do not have local accounts so this silent configuration will fail. Microsoft does not recommend installing SQL on a domain controller. Install SQL on a separate server and use that as the existing SQL server during the installation.
AuthAnvil Two Factor Auth v5.0 or later; AuthAnvil Password Server v1.7 or later
If you have any questions or need some help, we would be happy to assist. Open a case at help.scorpionsoft.com or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.