What is MFA?
"MFA" refers to Multi-factor Authentication. In short this is a process of adding an additional layer of security beyond simply a username & password.
We often are asked "where can I actually use MFA?". This is a pretty vague and often troubling question for customers. Multi-factor Authentication has several uses.
- Protecting Windows desktop logins.
- Adding MFA to a VPN or other appliance that supports RADIUS.
- Adding MFA to your RMM (Remote Management) tool.
- Adding MFA to popular PSA (Professional Services Automation) Tools.
- Adding your own customer integration using our publicly available API.
Whether you are using a Windows Desktop, Laptop, Workstation or Server we can add a Windows Credential Provider to add an MFA requirement to the login.
Note: This agent does not replace the existing Windows login requirement of username/password. The agent will only add a third requirement for an AuthAnvil passcode.
Want to know how to install a Windows Credential Provider? Please see this section.
VPN's and other appliances that support RADIUS
If you are working with an appliance or device that has support for RADIUS
- What is RADIUS? You might want to check out this article from Wikipedia.
- How Should I setup RADIUS?
- How can I add a RADIUS agent?
- How can I find documentation on setting up my VPN or Appliance to use RADIUS?
- First consult with your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for the appliance or device you are considering using RADIUS. Each appliance/device and version has different settings that can be used. Your OEM is your best resource.
- You can also check this section for some of the guides we have been able to create.
Adding MFA to RMM (Remote Management) tools
- Kaseya VSA (Virtual System Administrator) supports both SAML and MFA logins. Please check out this section for more information.
Labtech, Solarwinds Nable, Continuum all have integrations that support MFA that they maintain. Please check out this section for more information.
Adding MFA to PSA (Professional Services Automation) tools.
- You can add MFA to both Autotask and Connectwise. Both companies maintain their own integration that is designed to work with AuthAnvil. Please check out this section for more information on the configuration.