When logging in to an AuthAnvil-protected prompt, the login fails and the error "Invalid PASSCODE format detected" is displayed in the Auth Logs page of the AuthAnvil Manager.
"Invalid PASSCODE format detected" indicates that the login does not fit the proper format of an AuthAnvil Passcode: your 4-8 digit PIN followed by the 8-digit One Time Password from your token. There are several causes for this error:
- Logging in with a temporary password that has expired
- Passcode is not within 12-16 digits (4-8 digit PIN + 8 digit OTP)
- SoftToken authentication is expecting number digits for the One Time Password but letters were detected
- Blank passcode data was received
The exact cause and resolution will be different depending on if the user has SoftToken or a hardware token, if they are using a temporary password to log in, and if they are logging in to a specific agent to see this error. It is a good idea to have the user test against the Self Service Portal (domain.com/AuthAnvil/SelfService) to confirm the error.
Here are some suggested resolutions:
- Double-check that the temporary password for this user is correct and that it has not expired. Remember that a temporary password does not require a PIN
- Verify that the value being typed in is a 4-8 digit PIN number followed by an 8-digit OTP
- Make sure the user has the correct PIN
- Test against another agent / machine or the Self Service Portal to see if the login fails there in the same way. If it succeeds, this agent may be sending incorrect data to the server and you should contact Support.
All versions of AuthAnvil Two Factor Auth
If you have any questions or need some help, we would be happy to assist. Open a case at kaseya.zendesk.com .