Note: Before attempting this process make sure you have backed up Password Server. Follow this articleto backup the Password Server.
Failure to backup the Password Server could risk the data within the Password Server and place you in an unrecoverable state.
You will need to have SQL Management Studio installed to complete this work.Here is a direct link to the installerhttp://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=29062
As of PWS v188.8.131.52, the only options for managing Private Vaults are available once logged in to the vault: Delete Vault and Reset Password.
If an end user forgets the password used to protect the Private Vault, the password data is impossible to be recovered.
The initial password is used to encrypt all the other password data and this value cannot be reset. The user will not be able to manage their Private Vault at all, so they may opt to have their vault delete / destroyed / reset.
The only resolution is to delete the Private Vault.
To delete a Private Vault:
- Connect to a machine that has SQL Management Studio installed (express is fine)
- Connect to the SQL instance where AuthAnvil Password Server's database is stored
- Expand Databases -> AuthAnvilPasswordServer -> Tables
- Open dbo.UserTable and look for the UserID of the user that will have their Private Vault reset. Record this value
- Open dbo.PrivateVaultTable and look for the PrivateVaultID matching the UserID from Step 4. Record this value
Under AuthAnvilPasswordServer -> Programmability -> Stored Procedures, Right-click andExecute the stored procedure "dbo.DeletePrivateVault".
It will ask for the "UserID", "PrivateVaultID", and "OrgID" to delete the matching private vault. Feed in the recorded information from Steps 4 and 5, and the OrgID will almost always be 1.
- Double-check the dbo.PrivateVaultTable for the row matching the UserID. If it is deleted, the user should be prompted for a new password when they log in.
If you have any questions or need some help, we would be happy to assist. Open a case atkaseya.zendesk.com.