How do I recover orphaned licenses for an add-on module?
Some add-on module licenses can be orphaned for a number of reasons. The most common involves scenarios where an agent is manually removed from an endpoint without interaction from the Kaseya server (e.g., rebuild of an endpoint after a catastrophic failure, a user manually deletes the agent, a client withdraws from support and severs the connection to the VSA before the admin removes agents, etc.).
These licenses can be recovered by allowing the ksubscribers database to compare valid license allocations (those associated with an agent on the server) with invalid ones (those licenses with no associated agent).
To initiate this, please complete the following steps:
- Log into the KServer VSA
- Delete the Machine ID(s) from the KServer for any agents to longer associated with the VSA
- Deleting a machine account initially marks it for deletion. Actual deletion usually occurs as per scheduled defined in System -> Configure page -> Archive and purge logs every day and this is generally configured to run at night during off hours to reserve resources during working hours.
- There are some cases where it is useful to purge machine accounts immediately. For example, your Kaseya Server may exceed the agent license count. Click Clean Database (Agent -> Manage Agents -> Clean Database) to immediately purge machine accounts that are already marked for deletion. This will fire a query against the ksubscribers database and attempt to release any orphaned licenses.
Note on Clean Database:
1) Any agents associated with the orphaned license must be removed from the KServer prior to running the Clean Database function.
2) The length of time to complete this query will depend on the size and performance of the database but generally does not take more than a few minutes. This does usually create significant load on the server and it is advised to run this process during non-production hours when database use is low.
If after completing these steps you believe orphaned licenses have not been recovered, please open a ticket with Kaseya Support. Provide a detailed description of the problem and reference in the ticket you have attempted the steps in this article.
Kaseya VSA - All Versions