Your Kaseya server currently runs with the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express. You wish to upgrade your database to a full Microsoft SQL Server 2005 installation without losing any information about the machines currently managed by the Kaseya server.
Upgrade your Kaseya server to use Microsoft SQL Server 2005by reinstalling Kaseya without the SQL Express download option.
Use the following procedure to first save data from your current Kaseya server, then uninstall your current Kaseya server running with SQL Express, and finally reinstall Kaseya pointing to the new SQL server:
1. Download latest version of the Kaseya server install here - http://www.kaseya.com/support/Downloads.aspx
2. Log in to your current VSA server as a master administrator.
3. Select the System tab.
4. Click on the Configure function.
5. Save a copy, e.g. in a text file such as c:\temp\backup\notes.txt, of the current address of the Kaseya server. This address is located on the Configure page in the field to the right of the label Change external name / IP address of Server:
6. Save a copy, e.g. also in c:\temp\backup\notes.txt, of the current port number of the Kaseya server. This port number is located on the Configure page in the field to the right of the label Specify port Agents check into Server with:
7. Save a copy, e.g. also in c:\temp\backup\notes.txt, of the current license ofthe Kaseya server. This license is located on the Configure page in the field to the right of the label License Code:
Make a note of the Kaseya installation directory on your local disk drive, which by default is c:\Kaseya\.
8. Click the Backup Now button on the Configure page. An SQL database backup will run within the next two minutes.
9. To confirm the completion of the database backup, locate the SQL database backup file named\UserProfiles\@dbBackup\ksubscribers_db_yyyymmddhhmm.BAK. By default, the is c:\Kaseya\. Theyyyymmddhhmm portionof the file name contains the current year, month, day, hour, and minute of the database backup. Copy this file to a backup folder, such as c:\temp\backup\.
10. Copy the entire directory \UserProfiles\ to a backup folder, such as c:\temp\backup\. This directory contains the files associated with your managed machines.
11. With the exception of the subdirectory VSAHiddenFiles, copy the entire directory \WebPages\ManagedFiles\ to a backup folder, such as c:\temp\backup\. This directory contains the scripts and managed files belonging to each administrator.??WARNING: Do not copy VSAHiddenFilesfrom an old system to a new system. This directory contains many system helper files. Your new system installation contains the latest versions of these files.
12. Copy the entire directory \WebPages\themes\banner\images\new to a backup folder, such asc:\temp\backup\themes\banner\images\new. This directory contains the customized icons, if any, for reports and the Agent when using the banner theme.?Repeat for the compact theme and the default theme.
13. From your Control Panel, open Addor Remove Programs.
14. Select Kaseya Virtual System Administrator and click the Change/Remove button.
15. Click No when you are prompted with the question: Do you want to save the Kaseya user data?
16. Uninstall SQL Server 2005 Express
17. Install the new vesrion of SQL Server, and ensure it is configured for mixed mode (SQL and Windows) authentication. Use the SQL Enterprise manager to open the Properties on the computer name in the SQL Server group. The authentication mode can be found on the Security tab.
18. Run the Kaseya installation.
19. On the Kaseya Server Network Settings page, enter the hostname or IP Address saved from the original installation. Enter an unused port number, such as 9876.??WARNING: Do not enter the port number, which was saved earlier, at this time. By using a different port number, the Kaseya server will not accept connections from any existing Agents. You will enter the correct port number AFTER copying back the saved directories and restoring the database.
20. When prompted, enter the original installation directory on your local drive and complete the installation.
21. Copy back the UserProfiles and ManagedFiles directories saved from the original installation. Note that theManagedFiles\VSAHiddenFiles directory created during the reinstallation will not be overwritten.
22. Copy back the WebPages\themes\banner\images\new, WebPages\themes\compact\images\new, andWebPages\themes\default\images\new directories saved from the original installation to restore any customized icon images.
23. Log in to your new VSA server as a master administrator. (NOTE – this willbe the new master admin account you specified during installation. At this point you have not yet restored your old accounts)
24. Select the System tab.
25. Click on the Configure function.
26. Click the Check for Hotfix button and wait until all hotfixes are installed
27. Click the Reapply Schema link and wait for it to complete
28. Click the Restore button on the Configure page.
29. Select the SQL database backup by locating the backup file created earlier. Click the Restore button to confirm the database restore operation.
30. After the database restore completes, log back in to the Kaseya server using one of the original administrator accounts.
31. Update with the original port number on the System tab, Configure function, by editing the port number and clicking on the Change Port button.
The Kaseya Agents on your managed machines that are online should begin to check in at this point, though some may remain offline for as long as an hour. The Agents will defer checkins for at most one hour due to the lack of response from any Kaseya Server.